Division III: Social Science Department Names Honorees at Annual Awards Chapelby Karen Handley • May 10, 2004 Share:
The awards and their recipients are:
• George D. Lovell Award: Carlos Carrillo
The George D. Lovell Award is presented to a junior or senior majoring in social studies. Established in 1986 by family, friends, colleagues and former students of Dr. Lovell, long-time chairman of the Psychology Department and Beesley Distinguished Professor at Wabash. The recipient is chosen by the chairman of Division III and the dean of students, with preference given to a student of racial or ethnic minority.
• Distinguished Senior in Psychology: Nathan Lundquist
The Distinguished Senior in Psychology Award is given to the senior psychology major who best represents the department's ideal for outstanding research, scholarship and service.
• Wall Street Journal Award: Salman Chand
The Wall Street JournalAward is presented to the senior economics major who has exhibited the best analytical ability in his major field, the award consists of a one year subscription to the Wall Street Journal and an engraved paperweight.
• Warren Wright Shearer Prize in Economics: Chad Hobson
The Shearer Prize was established to recognize the contributions made by Warren Wright Shearer during his long years of service to Wabash as an economist and a teacher of economics, it is presented to a member of the junior class who, by vote of the faculty of the economics department, has the best command of economic theory.
• Benjamin A. Rogge Memorial Award: Brian Clem
The Rogge Award is awarded to the academically outstanding member of the senior class who best articulates the free-market philosophy and ideals of Ben Rogge,
• Steven Schmutte Award for Outstanding Paper in Economics: Justin Grimmer
The Schmutte prize is awarded to the student paper which, in the judgement of the department, best reflects the qualities of cognet analysis and clarity of exposition which were the hallmarks of Stephen Schmutte, a dedicated and very effective teacher in the department since 1968.
• Theodore G. Gronert Award: Mark Shreve
The Gronert Award is presented by the American Legion Byron Cox Post No. 72, in memory of Dr. Theodore Gronert, a long-time professor of history at Wabash and a former post commander. The award is given to the senior who had demonstrated excellence in the study of United States history and government.
• John F. Charles World History Prize: Joseph Mulvey
The John F. Charles Prize is awarded to the senior history major who is considered most outstanding in a field or fields of history other than American. It is presented by the History Department of the College in honor of their friend and colleague, John F. Charles.
• F. Michael Cassel Political Science Award: Justin Grimmer
The Cassel Award is awarded to a political science major who shows great promise.
• George A. Lipsky Memorial Award in Political Science: Benjamin Scanlon
The Lipsky Memorial Award is named for a former chairman of the political science department at Wabash, the award is based on a student's breadth of learning within the liberal arts curriculum, his commitment of human and civilized values and his ability to analyze and evaluate contemporary social issues.
• Waldo Stephens Scholarship: Christopher Jorgensen
The Waldo Stephens Scholarship was established in memory of Dr. Waldo Stephens and awarded annually to a junior who plans a career of government service.
• N. Ryan Shaw II Political Science Award: Benjamin Tooley
The Shaw award, a Wabash captain's chair, is presented to the senior chosen by the political science department as the department's outstanding major. The award is in memory of the late Mary J. Shaw's husband, Wabash class of 1953.
• Caleb Mills Teacher-in-Training Excellence Award: Christopher Anderson
The Caleb Mills Teacher-in-Training Award honors the memory of the founder of the public school system, Caleb Mills. It is awarded to a member of the graduating class whose achievement and contribution to teacher education and student teaching have been the most distinguished.
The Student Honors, Awards, and Prizes Chapel is held every year at Wabash to honor students with awards and prizes for their outstanding work they have demonstrated throughout their college years.
- Thorp Named Dean for Enrollment Management
- Walker '15 Electronic Music Pioneer
- Blue Catfish Path for Flock '16
- Burnett '15 Named Rhodes Scholar
- Division I: Science Department Names Honorees at Annual Awards Chapel
- Division II: Humanities and Fine Arts Department Names Honorees at Annual Awards Chapel
- Division III: Social Science Department Names Honorees at Annual Awards Chapel