Homecoming Weekend Scheduled for September 28-29by Karen Handley • September 11, 2007
Wabash College invites you to a variety of events scheduled during Homecoming Weekend, September 28-29. A musical concert, art exhibit, Alumni Chapel, and, of course, football are just some of the activities planned.
Friday, September 28 events include:
• All day — Art Exhibits. Two exhibits, "Hui-Chu Ying, Recent Prints and Drawings" and African Art from the Wabash College Eiteljorg Collection will be exhibited during the weekend. Located in the Eric Dean Gallery in the Fine Arts Center on Grant Avenue. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The gallery is free and open to the public.
• 12:00 p.m. — Faculty/Staff Luncheon, Little Giant Room, Sparks Center. Join members of the Wabash faculty and staff for an informal luncheon and program. $5.00 per person and can be purchased at the door.
• 4:15 p.m. — Open Discussion with Rogge Lecturer Michael Mandelbaum. Mandelbaum will lead a discussion on "Democracy’s Good Name: The Rise and Risks of the World’s Most Popular Form of Government" at 4:15 p.m. in Baxter Hall, room 114. Free and open to the public.
• 8:00 p.m. — Benjamin A. Rogge Memorial Lecture by Michael Mandelbaum. One of America’s leading authorities on international affairs, Michael Mandelbaum, will present the 2007 Benjamin A. Rogge Memorial Lecture. Mandelbaum will lecture on, "Democracy’s Good Name: The Rise and Risks of the World’s Most Popular Form of Government," in Baxter Hall, room 101. There will be a book signing in Rogge Lounge, Baxter following the lecture.
Saturday, September 29 events include:
• All day — The annual freshman decorations will be on display at fraternity houses. The fraternities will have floats, banners, and other homecoming ornamentation at their houses. Winners will be announced at halftime of the football game.
• 11:00 a.m. — Alumni Chapel, Pioneer Chapel. Join the National Association of Wabash Men for a festive celebration of Wabash College and its honored graduates. A number of alumni awards will also be presented. Those being presented with awards are: Robert M. Einterz ’77, Fredrick J. Urbaska Civic Service Award; Joseph D. Barnette, Jr. ’61, Frank W. Misch Alumni Service Award; David E. Kendall ’66, Clarence A. Jackson Career Service Award; Jasmine Robinson, Honorary Alumna; Richard O. Ristine ’41, Richard H. Griesser ’51, and Jeffrey W. Wilson ’91, Alumni Admissions Fellows. The Alumni Chapel is free and open to the public.
• 11:00 a.m. — Wabash Soccer vs. Denison University, Mud Hollow Field. Free and open to the public.
• 2:00 p.m. — Wabash Football vs. Earlham College, Hollett Little Giant Stadium. The Little Giants, coached by Chris Creighton, will clash with the Earlham Quakers. The game features not only a good contest between the two schools, but also the fraternity pledge class cheer contest at half-time. Game tickets are $5 adults, $3 students, kids under 6 free. Available at the gates.
• 8:00 p.m. — The Homecoming Concert, Salter Hall, Fine Arts Center, located on Grant Avenue. Listen to the 70 members of the Alumni Glee Club, whose Wabash graduation dates range from 1941 to 2007. Experience the songs of the current Glee Club. Relax to the close harmonies of the 1956 Wabash Harmonaires. Thrill to the sounds of the combined Clubs, as 120 men lift their voices in song! Free and open to the public.
For a complete list of events visit Wabash College Web Calendar at www.wabash.edu/calendar. For further information about the weekend, please contact the Office of Public Affairs at 765-361-6396 or the Office of Alumni Affairs at 765-361-6369.
For more information see:
Alumni Homecoming Web Site