2008 Student Honors, Awards, and Prizes• April 29, 2008
Gary Phillips, Dean of the College, has announced the following awards given at a recent Student Honors, Awards, and Prizes Chapel held at the College.
The awards and their recipients are:
• Phi Beta Kappa Prize: Kyle Prifogle
The Phi Beta Kappa Prize was established to encourage original work of high creative and scholarly merit, as distinct from proficiency in normal course work. It is a cash prize given by the Wabash chapter of Phi Beta Kappa to that undergraduate who is judged to have produced the most original and meritorious piece of work, whether artistic and analytical.
• Community Service Award for Outstanding Work: Joshua Gangloff and Christopher Serak
The Community Service Award is given to the student who has embodied the spirit of selfless community service to Wabash College, Crawfordsville, and Montgomery County.
• Indianapolis Alumni Student Athlete Award: Brian Hilts
The Indianapolis Alumni Student-Athlete Award is given to a senior who has made a significant contribution to athletes at Wabash and who has achieved a respectable grade point average.
• Pete Vaughan Outstanding Athlete Award: Adrian Pynenberg
The Pete Vaughan Award commemorates the 30 years of distinguished service Robert E. "Pete" Vaughan, a 1924 Wabash graduate, dedicated to Wabash as coach and athletic director.
• Lilly Library Research, Scholarship, and Creativity Awards: Mitchel Brown, Ryan Morris, and Tyler Williams
• Malcolm X Institute Merit Award: Bernard Meyer, Tehe Morton, ad Earl Rooks
The Malcolm X Institute Merit Award is given annually to those seniors who, in the judgement of the director, have made significant contributions to the Malcolm X Institute during their tenure at Wabash College.
• Paul T. Hurt Award for All-Around Freshman Achievement: Seth Einterz
The Hurt Award is made by the dean of students from nominations submitted by all living units on campus to a deserving freshman student in recognition of all-around achievement in his first year at Wabash.
• Angus-Scientech Education Award: Kevin Witt
The Angus Scientech Award made by the DJ Angus-Scientech Education Foundation goes to a student in recognition of excellence in science, mathematics, or social sciences who has shown exceptional improvement in academic performance over the last year.
• Fred N. Daugherty Award: Justin Sparks
The Daugherty Award is given to a student from Montgomery County who has shown significant intellectual and social growth and achievement as a result of the Wabash experience.
• Dean Stephens Award: Nathaniel Rutz
The Dean Stephens Award is given to a member of the junior class who best reflects the broad intellectual and personal interests, the high moral courage, and the humane concerns of Dean Stephens, a member of the Wabash coaching staff who was killed in an airplane crash in 1958.
• Stephens-Hall Senior Scholarship: Patrick Smith
The Stephens-Hall Senior Scholarship Award was established in memory of Waldo Stephens and Andrew David Hall, and is presented to a senior of demonstrated worth who plans to continue his education.
• Lewis Salter Memorial Award: Austin Kline
The Salter award is given to a member of the junior class who best exemplifies the characteristics of scholarship, character, leadership, and service Dr. Lewis Salter embodied as a Wabash faculty member and as Wabash's twelfth president.
• Senior Award of Merit: Andrew Rodenbarger
The Senior Award of Merit is awarded by the Student Senate in conjunction with the National Association of Wabash Men to the senior who, though out his years at Wabash College, has demonstrated outstanding achievement in scholarship, service, and extracurricular activities.
• McLain-McTurnan-Arnold Excellence in Teaching Award: Cheryl Hughes
• McLain-McTurnan-Arnold Research Scholar: John Munford
• George Lewes Mackintosh Fellows: Thomas Elliiott, Jackson Price, Andrew Rodenbarger, Collin Rudnik, Shenil Shah, Aaron Spolarich
Director of Public Affairs Jim Amidon has announced the Robert S. Harvey Outstanding Editor Award, Robert S. Harvey Journalism Awards, and the Patterson-Goldberger Outstanding Freshman in Journalism Award at a recent Student Honors, Awards, and Prizes Chapel held at the College.
The Robert S. Harvey Outstanding Editor Award: Patrick Smith
The Robert S. Harvey Journalism Award: Nelson Barre, Joshua Bellis, Kyle Cassidy, Clayton Craig, Thomas Elliot, Robert Fenoglio, James Gillespie, Joshua Harris, Bradley Jones, Wassim Labaki, Patrick McAlister, Bernard Meyer, Aaron Parrish, Patrick Smith, and Jacob Stump
Robert S. Harvey Journalism Award, presented annually, on the vote of the Board of Publications, to the chair of the Board of Publications and the editors of the member publications. This award recognizes the fact that the editors, above all others, had to make a sacrifice to make the publications successful. Mr. Harvey ’28 taught English 1941-79, Librarian 1941-42, Acting Dean 1942-44, and Registrar 1946-72. He supervised the college News Bureau, ran the Board of Publications, wrote citations for alumni awards of merit, and became the college archivist.
Jim Leas Outstanding Student in Journalism: Gary James and Patrick McAlister
The Patterson-Goldberger Outstanding Freshman in Journalism Award: Jacob Stump
The Freshman Journalism Award is presented to the member of the freshman class who contributed most significantly to journalism in his first year at Wabash.
- Marc Welch Named Associate Dean of Students
- Lilly Endowment Grant Supports Wabash Center
- 62 Students Graduate from OLAB
- Wabash Mourns Professor Tom Campbell