Students Honored During Awards Chapelby Karen Handley • May 1, 2009 Share:
Wabash College students, faculty, and staff gathered Thursday, April 30 for the annual Awards Chapel presentations.
Cash awards, plaques and other honors are bestowed upon Wabash men who have shown academic achievement, scholarly research, and excelled in other campus activities.
Awards were presented in all of the academic departments and some extra-curricular activities. Some of the top awards are presented by Dean of the College Gary Phillips.
The Dean's Awards and their recipients are:
• George Lewes Mackintosh Fellows: Brock Graham, John Holmes, Austin Kline, Andrew Oehler, Kyle Prifogle, Timothy Surber
George Lewes Mackintosh Memorial Fund, established by the late James Putnam Goodrich in memory of the sixth president of the College, provides scholarships to six graduating seniors each year, without regard to need, who will be going on to graduate or professional schools. The recipients of the scholarships are designated as Mackintosh Fellows. Selection is made by a committee of the College upon departmental recommendations.
• Phi Beta Kappa Prize: Spencer Elliott
The Phi Beta Kappa Prize was established to encourage original work of high creative and scholarly merit, as distinct from proficiency in normal course work. It is a cash prize given by the Wabash chapter of Phi Beta Kappa to that undergraduate who is judged to have produced the most original and meritorious piece of work, whether artistic and analytical.
• Community Service Award for Outstanding Work: Asher Weaver
The Community Service Award is given to the student who has embodied the spirit of selfless community service to Wabash College, Crawfordsville, and Montgomery County.
• Indianapolis Alumni Student Athlete Award: Brock Graham
The Indianapolis Alumni Student-Athlete Award is given to a senior who has made a significant contribution to athletes at Wabash and who has achieved a respectable grade point average.
• Pete Vaughan Outstanding Athlete Award: Matthew Dodaro
The Pete Vaughan Award commemorates the 30 years of distinguished service Robert E. "Pete" Vaughan, a 1924 Wabash graduate, dedicated to Wabash as coach and athletic director.
• Lilly Library Research, Scholarship, and Creativity Awards: Sean Clerget, Sean Huston, Gregory Slisz
• Malcolm X Institute Merit Award: David Braitman, Norman Cooke, Daniel DeNormandie, Barrington Hodges, Jeremy Morris, Reginald Steele
The Malcolm X Institute Merit Award is given annually to those seniors who, in the judgment of the director, have made significant contributions to the Malcolm X Institute during their tenure at Wabash College.
• Paul T. Hurt Award for All-Around Freshman Achievement: Kevin McCarthy
The Hurt Award is made by the dean of students from nominations submitted by all living units on campus to a deserving freshman student in recognition of all-around achievement in his first year at Wabash.
• Angus-Scientech Educational Award: Brandon Hirsch
The Angus Scientech Award made by the DJ Angus-Scientech Education Foundation goes to a student in recognition of excellence in science, mathematics, or social sciences who has shown exceptional improvement in academic performance over the last year.
• Fred N. Daugherty Award: Jacob Surface
The Daugherty Award is given to a student from Montgomery County who has shown significant intellectual and social growth and achievement as a result of the Wabash experience.
• Dean Stephens Award: Gary James
The Dean Stephens Award is given to a member of the junior class who best reflects the broad intellectual and personal interests, the high moral courage, and the humane concerns of Dean Stephens, a member of the Wabash coaching staff who was killed in an airplane crash in 1958.
• Stephens-Hall Senior Scholarship: Juan Carlos Venis
The Stephens-Hall Senior Scholarship Award was established in memory of Waldo Stephens and Andrew David Hall, and is presented to a senior of demonstrated worth who plans to continue his education.
• Lewis Salter Memorial Award: Gary James
The Salter award is given to a member of the junior class who best exemplifies the characteristics of scholarship, character, leadership, and service Dr. Lewis Salter embodied as a Wabash faculty member and as Wabash's twelfth president.
• Senior Award of Merit: Brock Graham
The Senior Award of Merit is awarded by the Student Senate in conjunction with the National Association of Wabash Men to the senior who, though out his years at Wabash College, has demonstrated outstanding achievement in scholarship, service, and extracurricular activities.
• McLain-McTurnan-Arnold Excellence in Teaching Award: Scott Feller
• McLain-McTurnan-Arnold Research Scholar: Joyce Burnette
- Allens Pledge $4M for Student Housing
- Class of 2015: Embrace the Differences
- Students In Chicago Classrooms
- Three Seniors Earn Fellowships