ControllerDate Posted: 09/06/17
Job Title: Controller
Division/Department: Business Office
Reporting Relationship: Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer
Location of Job: Center Hall
Work Schedule Full Time
Exemption Status Exempt
Payroll Status Salary
Wabash College seeks candidates to fill its position of Controller. The Controller serves a critical role on the finance team and is responsible for coordinating the administrative and operational activities associated with the collection and disbursements of funds and the recording of all financial transactions of the College, which has an operating budget that exceeds $44 million. The Controller establishes and monitors appropriate procedures, processes, and systems to assure that the College’s financial records and financial statements accurately reflect the financial performance and resources of the College.
The Controller ensures the College’s compliance with external requirements including, but not limited to, financial reporting and accounting standards; state and federal tax laws; federal grant and cost accounting standards; accountable plan rules; and data/information security. The Controller will provide leadership and direction for the configuration and maintenance of the chart of accounts and the enterprise information systems that support all business processes. The Controller will ensure appropriate internal controls are in place, and coordinate the development and review of business process documentation to support operational efficiency and business continuity.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the administrative and operational activities associated with the collection and disbursement of funds and the recording of all financial transactions of the College;
- Ensure the establishment and monitoring of appropriate procedures, processes, and systems to support finance functions and strong internal controls over financial operations;
- Manage compliance with external reporting requirements, such as accounting standards and state and federal tax laws;
- Coordinate the annual financial statement preparation and audit process;
- Support the development, execution, and monitoring of the annual operational budget;
- Support management reporting needs, including the development and monitoring of key performance indicators and performance reports for business functions;
- Collaborate with the finance team, Information Technology staff, and others to identify and evaluate technology needs to run the business of the College;
- Perform analyses and ad hoc reports as needed;
- Serve as training coordinator for the finance team to ensure training on business processes is delivered to faculty, staff, and students in an appropriate method, dependent upon specific processes or topics; and
- Champion continuous improvement and drive innovation in financial operations;
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is required, a CPA and/or a graduate degree (MBA or equivalent) is preferred.
- Five years of experience in positions of increasing fiscal responsibility is required, college or university accounting or financial management experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) is required.
- Computer aptitude and experience with word processing, spreadsheet, business analytics, and proficiency with administrative/financial/enterprise wide resource planning (ERP) systems.
- Excellent leadership and organization/project management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement philosophy and change management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on assignments and projects.
- Ability to work with confidential information and manage multiple tasks.
How to apply:
Please upload cover letter, resume and contact information of three professional references by choosing Apply Now on this site.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, with preference given to those received on or before September 29, 2017.
Wabash College, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff who are committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership in a diverse, multicultural world. Wabash is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes employment applications from persons of all backgrounds without regard to their race, color, national origin, sex, gender identification, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, or military status, except where such a distinction is a bona fide occupational qualification. Wabash is welcoming for all people who have relationships with the College.
Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
For general questions about the position or the department, contact:Catherine Metz
Director of Human Resources
Return to Listings