Director of Planning, Design, and ConstructionDate Posted: 06/13/19
The Director of Planning, Design, and Construction serves a critical role for the College and is responsible for managing facilities planning, design, and construction activities from project inception through construction completion. The Director of Planning, Design, and Construction will be responsible for the oversight and management of all capital projects, including new building, renovation, and infrastructure projects; will direct the development and execution of a ten year capital plan; will coordinate periodic reviews of the capital action plan for use in facilities planning; and will work directly with constituent groups. The incumbent will report administratively to the Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer of the College and will provide additional support for planning other facilities projects as needed and manage approval, prioritization, and communication processes related to facilities projects.
The Director of Planning, Design, and Construction ensures the College’s compliance with building requirements and standards, applicable codes, College design standards, and will provide leadership to plan and execute the campus master plan and the specific capital projects described in the plan along with projects identified through ongoing maintenance and operations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct the planning, design, and construction of capital and facilities projects.
- Oversee and manage capital projects, including new building and renovation projects.
- Coordinate efforts to determine customer and constituent needs, define the scope of professional services, and lead selection processes for professional and contractor services.
- Serve as the relationship manager for contracted firms, the College’s facilities team, College administration, and the college community.
- Develop capital project plans that incorporate master plan projects and other facilities project needs.
- Develop and maintain College design standards.
- Incorporate needs identified in the campus capital action plan into the capital plan.
- Manage the scope, schedule, and budget for capital projects.
- Manage all internal and external communication processes related to our facilities projects and serve as our chief liaison on projects.
- Manage sourcing process to resources project needs.
- Lead the approval and prioritization processes for capital projects.
- Manage space use and analysis.
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Project Management, or related field is required.
- Five years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility in the design or construction industry is required, experience in college or university facilities management is preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of building codes, requirements, construction standards, and design standards is essential
- Excellent leadership, organization, and project management skills are required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills is required.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft suite of products including Windows, Excel, Word, Project, and related programs is preferred.
- Familiarity with CADD, BIM, Primavera software and digital tools.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement philosophy and change management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on assignments and projects.
- LEED AP and/or PMP certification preferred.
How to apply:
Please upload cover letter, resume and contact information of three professional references by choosing "apply now" or on the Wabash website at: https://www.wabash.edu/employment/
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, with preference given to those received on or before June 28, 2019.
Wabash College, a liberal arts college for men, seeks faculty and staff who are committed to providing quality engagement with students, high levels of academic challenge and support, and meaningful experiences that prepare students for life and leadership in a diverse, multicultural world. We welcome applications from persons of all backgrounds. EOE.
Director of Human Resources
P.O. Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
For general questions about the position or the department, contact:Catherine Metz
Director of Human Resources
Return to Listings